Thursday, February 17, 2005

Mutual Funds

Today I got a letter in the mail from my Aunt that has Valentine's stickers all over it. I'm thinking, oh how fun! She sent me a Valentine letter. I opened it up and it's a 1099 form with an account summary from Charles Schwab. Let me take a few steps back, when I was born my Grandma began to put money away for my education. I knew that there was college money for me, but I just thought it was in a savings account and had no idea how much it is. My aunt always managed it for my Grandma and never said anything about it, I just was told it existed. Well, once I got older I started to wonder exactly where this money is and if it really is in Savings, or invested in stocks, mutual funds, whatever. So, I started to question my Aunt about it but she would never give me straight answers. So I still knew nothing about it, but that it was there and for my education only. I tried to ask her on several occasions just so I could learn about it because obviously as I got older I got more interested in investments, and such. I think she thought I wanted the money, which was never the case. Why would I want to take money that my (now deceased) Grandmother spent years saving for me to spend on anything but education? I love that she did that for me, and would never think about blowing it on anything else. So, back to today... I get this 1099 and a letter that says

"Dear Elizabeth, You need this information to file your taxes for 2004. I start work on Valentine's Day with a new job, so I'm trying to get all of my paperwork done. It's been raining a lot here, but this is Phoenix so it will soon be hot! I will probably have roses in bloom by Easter. Miss you!"

Ok, that's great. Now I know that this money is in Mutual Funds, but the rest is gibberish to me. Wait... hold on a second... ok, I see where she took out that $1000 to give me when I moved to San Jose, but wait a sec... this says she took out another $1000 in December. That's funny because it sure didn't come to me. Hmmm... and look at this! Under Recipient's name and address it says:

(Aunt's Name) Cust for
Elizabeth blah blah blah
Until age 21

Well, fuck me hard and call me Rhonda! I have every fucking right to this account! And, now that I see that she took $1000 out of it for God only knows what that I was never made aware or, nor did I ever see that money, I see why she doesn't want me to know anything about it! This is money for my education that my Grandmother put away for me, and she's controlling it because she's fucking spending it! AHHHHHH!!!! I should probably also tell you all that this woman can not keep a job to save her life and at the beginning of December she told my sister in law she had no idea how they were going to make their mortgage/car payments in December. What a coincidence! She made the $1000 withdrawal on December 21st. Ok, so all that aside... I'm trying to decipher what this statement says and what all of it means. So, I make the mistake of taking it to my brother. He tells me he doesn't really know, and that I should just ask my Aunt. My sister in law suggested I call Charles Schwab myself seeing as how I'm well over 21 and am completely entitled to the account. My brother says no, that it's none of my business. So they start arguing about that and my brother says, that I have no business calling because my Aunt manages it and that's the way it's always going to be. If I want to know something I need to call her. His wife said she thinks I should see about gaining control of it because obviously something fishy is going on with it, and since it's mine, I have every right to it. Then my brother says, right in front of my face "No, because she's a fuckin idiot and would probably blow it all right away and then my Aunt would kill her. Besides, what happened when your brother got the $15k from when your dad died? He fuckin blew it on guitar shit!" After calling me a fuckin idiot for NO reason right in front of my face, and saying I would probably blow the money that my Grandma saved for my education I couldn't even talk. My jaw just dropped! His wife told him that that's bullshit that I'm almost 25 years old and clearly responsible enough to handle it, and she pointed out that her brother was 18 when he was given a check for $15k, not a 24 and getting mutual funds. So, while they're still arguing I just left the room still in shock that he would say that about me while I'm sitting right there, when he has absolutely NOTHING to base that on. I went in to ask him for advice and come out after being called an irresponsible fuckin idiot. Thanks bro. I came in my room and was taking my shoes off when I hear him calling me, for a very brief second I thought maybe it MIGHT be to apologize... no fuckin way. I went back in there and he goes "Now I'm curious to know how much is in that account. But it will probably just frustrate you to find out because you'll just want it for yourself. So anyway, just e-mail her and ask her. I'm sure she'll help you." I just looked at him and walked out. I'm sure a lot of you are wondering why I didn't say anything to him, or stand up for myself at all. Normally, if anyone else in the world were to say something like that about me, it would be ON! But, he's a different story. He will win every argument. And if he doesn't win, he fights dirty and goes for the jugular. He will say everything he can to hurt you until you give up. I hate that. I hate arguing period, but even if I know I'm right with him I won't argue because all he does is say horrible shit that makes me feel even worse. He is the king of belittling. Up until that I had such a great night, and right now I'm packing a bag to stay with my other brother this weekend.

2 Comments:

At 4:02 PM , Blogger EIizabeth said...

I agree on saying f*ck my aunt. I just don't want to start some huge family brawl over this, so I need to figure out a game plan. Yes, I am moving back to NM to pursue my education. That's why the fact that she uses this money to pay her bills when she's out of work pisses me off so much.

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger Mr Peacock said...

Good luck is all I can say. I was also left money when I was very young. It was left in a high interest account until I was older. The aunt who set it up was in charge of it and after a family fall out, became hard to find. I now still get statements telling me how much money I have, but the bank will not allow me the money. It's very frustrating. I am now 31 and still unable to access it. It sounds bad but I wonder when she die's will I be able to get a copy of the death cert to prove I should be allowed access to my money.

If you are able to talk with your aunt. then do it. this otherwise may go on for years!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home