Thursday, November 11, 2004

Story

I don't really have anything new to post today, so I just thought I'd share a cool story that my sister called to tell me earlier this week. Her and my brother (in-law) have been together for 15 years, and married for 10. They had a crush on eachother all the way through highschool, but both were to shy to say anything, so on graduation night (in 1989), my brother (in-law) decided it was now or never, and asked her out. She, obviously, very happily accepted. They've been inseparable ever since, and have never broken up or separated even once.

He was EXTREMELY jealous in the beginning. My sister is absolutely gorgeous, and used to model. Well, my brother (in-law) didn't like other guys looking at her so he would beat up any guy that glanced in her direction. She stopped wearing make up and gave up on her appearance to make her life easier. Then she decided ummm no, this sucks, I want to be me. So she gave him an ultimatum, get rid of the jealousy or lose me. He got rid of the jealousy, very quickly, and they haven't had a problem with it since.

They hardly had any money when he proposed, so he put a $400 ring on layaway, and when he gave it to her, she treated it like the $4 million ring Kobe gave his wife. She could not have been happier. They got married in 1994, and now they have 2 absolutely precious kids who are now 7 and 9. It amazes me every time I see them how crazy in love they still are, and how after all this time, the spark they started out hasn't fizzled out, but basically turned into a forest fire.

So she calls me on Saturday all excited about what happened on their 10 year anniversary the day before. She said that she and my brother in law got dressed up and took my niece and nephew to dinner at this nice steak place, and after they ate, he asked the kids if they wanted to see where he proposed to their mom. They said yes, and were all excited. So they drove up to this place called Bear Canyon that overlooks the city, and parked. He told them "It was Christmas Eve, and I took her up here and we parked, and I got out of the car like this..." so he gets out of the car and goes to my sister's side and opens the door, then he goes "and I told her what a beautiful person she is and how I'm the luckiest man in the world to have her in my life, and I got down on one knee like this, and i told her how much i loved her and told her i want to spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to make her happy, and asked her to marry me... then I pulled out a ring like this." And he pulled out a brand new platinum wedding set. Then he tells my sister "After 10 years, I love you even more, feel even luckier to have you as my wife, and will still try just as hard to make you happy for the rest of our lives." SO, of course my sister is crying her eyes out, and my nephew goes "awwwwwwwwww that is SO cool!" and my niece goes "This is the BEST day of my whole life!" So after all that, they were on the way home and my niece tells my sister "Mommy, you're the luckiest girl in the world." and my nephew follows up with "Yeah, dad, that was pretty sweet." Now, how cute is that??? So, when people talk about the 50% divorce rate, and adultery, and all of that... I think of them, and I truly believe that the "happily ever after" dream I have is possible.

4 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Blogger J said...

Very cool story.

At least I don't have to worry about that 50% divorce rate...check.

 
At 6:26 AM , Blogger Ms. K said...

awww! that story made me smile. :)

(pssst... you should go live with them. they sound like they might be nicer to you!)

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Awww...how sweet!

 
At 3:16 PM , Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

That is a very sweet man your sister has!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home